Friday, January 20, 2006

Belly Up!


Oh...sweet Seattle, I could barely stand to leave knowing there are at least 279 more kitschy corners of your town I've yet to stumble upon. By some mastery of my constant maneuvering mind, I managed to turn a business trip into a menagerie of exploration with an almost equi-ratio shopping to working experience.

I forged my way through rain & muck... & although it was treasure I sought, I found something a trillion times more important...an aspect of my life I'd completely forgotten. In every shop, bar, or booth I entered I conversed with any English speaking being who seemed willing (with the exception of one non-lingual canine cutie!) and I remembered how fulfilling it can be to share and listen with a complete stranger. I realize how small my world really is and that there are so many interesting, creative, and genuine individuals out there. I see crime and cruelty on a daily basis in the news, but forget that this is not what makes up our world. Our world is made up of these people, simple and complex, beautiful and not so, intelligent or otherwise, but kind-hearted, chivalrous, and real.

I remembered how it feels to rely on myself for everything I need, terrified of being my own navigator on streets unknown. Dining alone is more then a humbling experience, but an experiment in human nature, it's been a long time since I sat in the bar area alone!

More than anything I missed my dear husband...his kind heart, glowing smile, and warm body next to mine at night. He is my constant, my friend, my love. If I could only really be the person he imagines me to be, I would be a magnificent lady!

Places Visited this trip:

  • Pike Place Market - ate here...yummy, loved this of course!
  • Seattle IKEA in Renton a.k.a. mudslide city.
  • Super cool stores in U Village - like this shop, and this, and especially this! had fun noodles and a beer here (I needed to chill out after a hard days work of course!).
  • I love this store at Bellevue Square...oh how I wish we had one here. Incredible lunch here, right down the street from the office.
  • Had too short of a jaunt to the Fremont district, not much daylight this time of year. Super cool store there called Burnt Sugar...no website.

2 comments:

Meegan Blue said...

Glad you had a nice time up our way. Seattle is such a great city, but yes, it's been more rainy around here this year than it has in a long time. I totally agree with you about people, and how meaningful and satisfying it can be simply to have conversations with interesting strangers. But I'll bet you were glad to get home too!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh you discovered some of the things that i love about living near seattle! so glad you were able to balance fun with work when you were here...