Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday # 10

Then & Now


Self Portrait Tuesday - January Challenge: Personal History

All my life I wanted nothing more than to be my brother's friend. I always tried so hard, but he, being almost 4 years older than me, and completely cool, was not all that accepting of my attention. When he had his friends sleep over I would sit in his doorway and listen because that wasn't necessarily part of his "room", but then he'd slam the door in my face. Once, I begged him not to go on a ski trip with his friends because I didn't want to be alone for the weekend, of course he went. At our grandparents home he would see how fast he could skate around the block, and each lap I'd have a glass of water waiting for him, just because I thought he'd like it. I never got a glass of water when I tried...

The sad part is we don't really talk all that much anymore. He has his life, and I have mine. Maybe aftertrying for so many years, my heart just gave up on the quest. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother and I think he is a wonderful person. We just have absolutely nothing in common, and are lacking a strong bond that most siblings have. I wish things were different, but I can't say it was for lack of trying.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

this post makes me sad.
maybe the situation will change over time.
he is missing out, big time...

Abby Marie said...

It actually made me sad to write it, the complete honest truth. I hate that I feel like he calls me out of obligation, not excitement. I hope it just the same that it changes w/ time... I feel like I've missed out on quite a bit too.

Sarah said...

the truth can be saddening. this is my truth as well. and it saddens me too. the only difference is, it is my little brother, nine years younger. I really relate to this post... and I love your then & now pictures.